Thursday, December 17, 2009

For those who think feminism should be over.




I haven't posted in five days. Sorry: five very busy days.
Yesterday night, I got into some sort of discussion on Facebook: a guy I knew in college posted a pretty unethical news story and a friend and I spend some time making jokes around it, my friend blaming journalism for all the evil in the world and me trying to justify my vocation by saying that female journalists are different. We were joking, but there was someone else who never got it: after some sort of defense of crappy journalism with cliches like "journalism is more than getting a quote," this random dude jumped onto my claim against the lack of women running newsrooms.That, I didn't find funny. He said "I know some women who are editors, and I don't think this is an issue of genre, I think it is an issue of criteria and the editorial positions predominant in each media outlet."

O.K. More than silly arguments, I hate silly arguments that actually prove the exact opposite to what they are trying to go for. He is denying sexism in the newsroom and then actually admitting it but changing its name. He is saying that some newsrooms just prefer not to hire female editors and this is their "editorial position." There are more precise ways to put it: misogynistic human resources departments prevent women to achieve powerful positions in the media industry. It is so dangerous when journalists fail at seeing reality. Where did Random Dude on Facebook go to journalism school?

This fight is not over, and here in the U.S there are blogs and columnists who make sure we don't forget that. Being the President of Chile a woman, I have to admit that I forgot about it a little bit.

Aiden has a say on this. I'm editing, and I found this clip. There is just no one with more authority than Aiden to prove my point. An important note about it, though, just so we are in the same page: Aiden, as he also says, has little or no authority to speak about how a woman feels, because he wasn't feeling things the way girls do. This is why he transitioned; he felt and perceived things like a man. He never felt 100% girl, then it's not like he can understand how we feel. BUT he looked like us: what he does know very well is about socially being seen and treated like a girl. As sexism and feminism are about socially being a woman, Aiden has an interesting insight on it. Here you can hear a word or two from an expert. Random dude on Facebook: watch this and then go read some sociology.

PS: The clip has a noise. Could you please be comprehensive with someone who is getting started on this? I'm working on  getting rid of that noise. That's actually why I found the clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No harassment. You cheat, I´ll delete you. No dictatorship of freedom of speech here.