Sunday, December 13, 2009

Peter Burke, mi amor!



A couple of weeks ago, I was wondering about transgender people´s presence in literature and especially, in history. I mentioned the Victorians and I wasn´t so lost: I found this great blog in Spanish where the issue is covered.  He is pointing to plays of the XVII century in Europe, and to the carnival. The carnival, of course! I forgot about it, duh! The blog´s author is quoting a lot of Spanish literature: Lope de Vega, Tirso de Molina, Guillén de Castro. And Boccaccio´s The Decameron!
He also says travestism during the carnival gets talked about in Peter Burke´s "Popular Culture in Early Modern Europe." I read it, but I can´t remember what he said about this topic especifically.This is a good one, folks: if you want to read history during the winter break and you like European history,this is your guy. Trust me.
OH BOY I can´t wait to be on vacation to check some of these titles out! I´m curious: was it a matter of "erotica," or something even deeper? Were there folks who would be consistently gender non-conforming?
(Wait: I read the book´s description at Amazon...ha! it says "Long neglected by historians, the concept of cultural history....blablabla." I´m into cultural history, cultural journalism, cultural-cultural everything :S)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Maite, I'm not completely sure how the following thing works with wordpress ones. If you mean the google reader, then all you have to do is put in the url...but I am not sure how to do it otherwise.

    I hope all is well, thanks for checking out my running blog!
    -Liam

    ReplyDelete

No harassment. You cheat, I´ll delete you. No dictatorship of freedom of speech here.